Salary $61,224.00 - $82,344.00 Annually
Location Multiple Locations Statewide, WA
Job Type Full Time - Permanent
Department Minority & Women's Business Enterprises
Job Number 2021-01-70008773
Closing 2/14/2021 11:59 PM Pacific
Certification Analyst – MA4
A model for exemplary service, the Office of Minority and Women’s Business Enterprises (OMWBE) promotes equity and increases participation in public contracting and procurement for small businesses owned by minorities, women, and disadvantaged persons. To accomplish our mission, the OMWBE certifies small businesses owned and controlled by minorities, women, and disadvantaged persons and works with the state’s purchasing and contracting community to provide education throughout the state. The results are positive impacts in the community that lend to a better economy and strengthen the resilience of families and ultimately improving the overall quality of life.
Who we are looking for:
OMWBE is looking for a flexible, hard-working and proactive professional to serve as a Certification Analyst (Management Analyst 4). This role will be serving statewide small, minority and women owned businesses (this position may be 100% telework with minimal requests (4-6 times per year) to travel to the main office located in Olympia). Being a Certification Analyst is fast paced, exciting and has a direct impact on the lives of our applicants. You will be asked to synthesize large volumes of information and analyze federal regulatory requirements for certification against individual applications. You will need to be focused on customer service, as our applicants deserve the very best as they navigate our application process. We are looking for energy, imagination, positivity, and cultural competency. OMWBE is dedicated to its mission and you will be an integral part of our team. The scope of work includes Technical Assistance, answering a varied number of questions, and working with our fully online application system. In addition, you will be asked to participate in outreach events, acting as a subject matter expert on certification for small, minority and women business owners seeking information about opportunities in public procurement and contracting. OMWBE is highly attuned to the needs of its community and we need individuals knowledgeable in the practices in diversity, equity and inclusion. OMWBE would prefer, not requiring, our chosen candidate for the position to be proficient in Spanish (both written and spoken) and be dual language certified through the DSHS Language Testing and Certification program (if not already certified).
As OMWBE continues to grow as an agency, the possibility for growth will also continue, as a lead position may develop providing opportunities for leadership and supervision.
If this sounds like you, please apply now!
OMWBE is an employer of choice because we:
- Champion employee diversity and inclusion;
- Provide a modernized office environment;
- Support mobile work practices and flexible/alternative work schedules;
- Offer access to the Employee Assistance Program;
- Provide an Infant in the Workplace program;
- Incentivize employees who use alternate transportation;
- Offer the state-wide total compensation package, including transparent and fair salary schedules, excellent and affordable health insurance options, free dental insurance, solid retirement benefits, vacation, leave, and holiday policies
Some of what you will enjoy doing:
- Processing highly complex certification applications to include the following tasks: annual updates, expansion of business services, business change requests, new small business enterprise, new out of state disadvantaged business enterprise, and new in state disadvantaged business enterprise applications.
- Writing decertification and denial letters in Plain Talk including relevant facts, analysis, and conclusions.
- Mentoring colleagues.
- Assisting supervisor as needed with other duties such as, but not limited to, creating forms and template letters, process improvement projects, and writing manuals.
- Providing technical assistance to firms regarding certification questions.
- Assisting with outreach.
Required Qualifications for Certification Analyst (MA4):
- 5 years (full time equivalency) of professional experience:
- interpreting, analyzing, and applying rules, policies, and/or regulations;
- writing, reviewing, editing investigative reports;
- legal or financial analysis of business records.
- Work experience in multiple areas may be combined to meet the five -year experience requirement.
- Expert level ability interpret and apply federal laws, regulations, policies and guidelines, ethics statutes, and regulations applicable to state employees.
- Uses independent judgment to make decisions.
- Examines complex certification materials and make conclusions about the significance of information in accordance with legal principles, regulations, and policies.
- Expert level ability to compose clear, concise, and legally correct written determinations.
- Organizes information logically. Uses plain talk writing to ensure the intended audience understands the material.
- Creates effective written documentation in a short amount of time.
- Expert level ability to explain rules, regulations, and complex technical information using plain talk.
- Demonstrates patience while listening to others and avoid interrupting.
- Organizes thoughts to convey legal principles to intended audience, including providing testimony and responding to questions posed during administrative proceedings.
- Expert level listening skills.
- Open-minded and does not judge others.
- Solicits performance feedback and accepts constructive criticism.
- Helps others overcome obstacles and successfully accomplish goals.
- Relates to all kinds of people regardless of background.
- Finds topics and common interests to build rapport with others.
- Displays a positive and kind demeanor.
The most successful applicants for the Certification Analyst should also possess the following competencies (desired qualifications):
- At least 3 years direct work experience interpreting, analyzing and applying eligibility rules, policies, and regulations of government/public sector certification programs for minority, women and disadvantaged-owned small businesses OR At least 3 years of professional experience providing technical assistance or counseling to small businesses, investigation, or owning or managing a business.
- Bilingual Spanish speaker
- JD or LLM
- Certified Diversity Professional (CDP) credential (or equivalent)
You must provide the information below; failure to do so may result in not being considered for this position:
- A letter of interest to describe why you are the best candidate and how you meet the specific qualifications for this position;
- Current resume;
- A current list of at least three (3) professional references with current contact information (attached or available to provide at the time of interview)
By submitting these materials, you are indicating that all information is true and correct. The state may verify information. Any untruthful or misleading information is cause for removal from the applicant pool or dismissal if employed.
The State of Washington celebrates our differences and we are committed to a workplace that supports equal opportunity employment and inclusion regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity diversity, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. We will also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with applicable federal, state and local laws.
You are welcome to include the name and pronoun you would like to be referred to in your materials and we will honor this as you interact with our organization.
Persons with a disability, who need assistance with their application or need this announcement in an alternative format, may call (360) 664-1960 or toll free (877) 664-1960. TTY users should first call 711 to access the Washington Relay Service.
Should you have any questions regarding this position or the online application, contact Amal Joury at firstname.lastname@example.org or 360-664-9756.re.