We Urgently Need Your Help: Take Action Now!
Washington State is currently considering repealing Initiative 200, a 1998 law that bans diversity programs in public contracting and public employment, as a result affecting business run by women, people of color, and other disadvantaged groups.
There are significant education and employment gaps in Washington state, particularly for people of color, and if the Legislature fails to act soon these gaps will continue to worsen. That’s why we need to work together to pass Senate Bill 6406, which will repeal I-200.
After 20 years of no action, we are so close to having I-200 be repealed, but we need your help! The deadline is February 14th to contact the following Senators to convince them to vote for SB 6406. We are only 2 votes away, and your voice would make a big difference!
1. SENATOR SHARON NELSON (34th District-West Seattle) Email: Sharon.Nelson@leg.wa.gov Phone: (360) 786-7667
2. SENATOR CHRISTINE ROLFES (23rd District- Kitsap) Email: Christine.Rolfes@leg.wa.gov Phone: (360) 786-7644
3. SENATOR MARK MALOSCIA (30th District – Federal Way) Email: Mark.Miloscia@leg.wa.gov Phone: (360) 786-7658
4. SENATOR JOE FAIN (47th District – Auburn) Email: Joe.Fain@leg.wa.gov Phone: (360) 786- 7692
5. SENATOR STEVE O’BAN (28TH Dist. – Tacoma/University Place) Email: Steve.OBan@leg.wa.gov Phone: (360) 786-7654
6. SENATOR STEVE HOBBS (44th Dist. – Lake Stevens) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: (360) 786-7686
7. SENATOR MAUREEN WALSH (16th Dist.- Walla Walla)
Email: Maureen.Walsh@leg.wa.gov Phone: (360) 786-7630
Now it’s time to start calling and emailing the above Senators to urge them to vote YES on SB6406, by NO LATER than Wednesday, February 14, 2018.
SB6406 I 200 Hearing on Friday, January 26, 2017
SB 6406 I200 Repeal Hearing Open Discussion with Senator Maralyn Chase and Senator Bob Hasegawa:
State Agency and Higher Education Historical Supplier Diversity Spreadsheet Presented by Senator Bob Hasegawa
Equality vs. Equity Photo
Panel Clip 1: John Carlson
Panel Clip 2: Teresa Bernsten, Roger Millar and Kevin Allen
Panel Clip 3: Stephanie Bowman and Edson Zavala
Panel Clip 4: Kaaren Heikes, Herbie Martin and Sandy Hanks
Panel Clip 4: Maria Flores, Joey Gray and Steve Glagett
Panel Clip 5: Eddie Rye Jr., Hayward Evans and Leslie Cushman
Panel Clip 6: Abdul Yusuf, John Yasutake and Jessie Wineberry
To learn more about the SB 6406 I-200 Repeal visit www.leg.wa.gov. To learn more about Tabor 100 and our work towards the repeal and how you can get involved please contact Riall Johnson, Tabor 100 Government Affairs Chair, at GovernmentAffairs@Tabor100.org